Laws & Regulations
State Laws & Regulations
About the End of Life Option Act
California’s End of Life Option Act went into effect on June 9, 2016. This law allows an adult diagnosed with a terminal illness, with the capacity to make medical decisions and who is a resident of the state, to request aid-in-dying medications from a participating attending physician. Several steps are required of both the requesting patient and the participating attending physician. Patients who choose to pursue this option will be considered to have died of their underlying terminal illness. Participating in the End of Life Option Act is voluntary for both patients and physicians.
The End of Life Option Act at AccentCare
At AccentCare, we believe that patients are experts in themselves. Our vision that patients receive the understanding, empathy, and excellence they deserve and that families will experience compassionate support from a trusted guide at each step serve to promote patient choice. We believe in honoring and encouraging our patients a voice in guiding their own end-of-life journey. Our protocol states the following:
- Our Physicians are allowed to act as Attending Physician or Consulting Physician per the law, if the physician chooses to do so;
- Our staff is allowed to be present at bedside at time of ingestion, as we would be for any patient death;
- Our staff is allowed to dialogue about the End of Life Option Act as a care option, when appropriate;
- Our electronic medical record has specific documentation for the End of Life Option Act that demonstrates ongoing dialogues, support, and advance care planning that respects a patient’s good death;
- We honor our team members as well. Their participation is voluntary;
- We operate a 24/7 cALL Center staffed by our own Nurses. They are trained to compassionately respond to questions about the California End of Life Option Act;
- We train all of our California staff on the End of Life Option Act, including National team members supporting our sites in California;
Would you like more information? Please reach out to us at PAD@Seasons.org for additional resources or to speak with a member of our National Medical Aid in Dying Expert team. When you reach out to us, you can expect to receive a response within 24-48 hours.
Interested in California’s End of Life Option Act and would like to self-refer for hospice services? Please email us at PAD@Seasons.org and we will put you in touch with the program closest to you to schedule an evaluation.
We have and will continue to place patients (and their choice) at the forefront of the care we provide. We will support patients who seek assistance through the End of Life Option Act.