Open Access is a hospice program that allows eligible patients currently receiving medical treatments and/or experiencing intense psychosocial challenges access to hospice services earlier.
Benefits of Open Access Hospice
Who is eligible for hospice through Open Access?
- IV antibiotics
- IV nutrition and IV heart medications
- Ventilator support
- Cardiac drips
- Chest tubes
- Hemo/peritoneal dialysis for hospice diagnosis
- Palliative radiation
- Biological response modifiers i.e., Procrit®, Neupogen®, Epogen®
- Or, if they need additional time to complete their discharge if they have been staying in a facility and will be returning home
Patients with complex psychosocial needs may also be eligible if they have not:
- Made long-term care plans
- Engaged in thorough acute care discharge planning
- Been able to arrange care giving
- Applied for Medicaid or if they have other financial needs
Who Pays for Open Access?
Open Access is covered under the Medicare Hospice Benefit. Coverage under a managed care contract is negotiated on a case-by-case basis.